Robert R. Gorbold
Mr. Gorbold concentrates in trial and appeal of civil cases primarily in state courts throughout northeastern Illinois. Mr. Gorbold has tried in excess of 60 cases, primarily before juries, including personal injury and commercial cases. His personal injury trials have included the representation of defendants in complex medical malpractice, products liability, general casualty, and construction injury cases. His commercial trials have involved claims for money damages and injunctive relief including insurance coverage, contract interpretation, commercial accounting, zoning and land use, professional negligence defense of architects and engineers, and probate matters.
Mr. Gorbold graduated from the John Marshall Law School in 1979, with distinction. While in law school, he participated in an honors program with the Appellate Court. Mr. Gorbold has been selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and enjoys the distinction of being selected by his peers to the Leading Lawyers Network and Illinois Super Lawyers for the past several years.
Mr. Gorbold regularly appears before the Circuit Courts of Will, LaSalle, Grundy, Kankakee, Iroquois, Kendall, Kane and Cook counties. He has also tried cases in Vermillion and Peoria counties. He has briefed and argued cases before the Illinois Supreme Court and the First and Third Districts of the Illinois Appellate Court.
Honors and Awards
- Selected in 2011 as a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary trial lawyer society whose membership is limited to the top one half percent of American lawyers. There are only about 130 lawyers selected as Fellows from the state of Illinois.
- Named 2006 - 2011 Super Lawyer peer selection of top 5% of Illinois lawyers by Law & Politics and Chicago Magazine in the Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice categories
- Named to 2006 - 2011 Leading Lawyers Network, peer selection by Law Bulletin Publishing Co. in Personal Injury - defense, Medical Malpractice - defense, Products Liability - defense
Areas of Practice
- Trial and Appeal of Civil Cases
- Personal Injury
- Complex Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- General Casualty
- Construction Injury
- Probate Litigation
- Illinois, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1980
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1995
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1979
- Honors: With Distinction
- Wheaton College
- B.A. - 1974
- Featured presenter on Probate Litigation and Will Contests to the Will County Bar Association, Probate Section continuing legal education seminar.
- Featured presenter on Expert Disclosure and Discovery Issues to the Will County Bar Association, Civil Section continuing legal education seminar
- Featured presenter for Lorman seminars on the topic of Spoliation of Evidence
- Featured presenter at several seminars for 3M to hospital staff and administration on “Legal Ramifications of Errors in Patient Care”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Will County Bar Association
- Will County Center for Economic Development, Board of Directors, General Counsel, 2005 - 2009
- Will County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, General Counsel, 2005 - 2009
- Christian Layman's Association of Will County, Past President
- Church Council of Judson Memorial Baptist Church, Past Chairperson