Mr. Kopman’s litigation practice concentrates in the areas of commercial matters, construction, banking, zoning and real estate, insurance defense, professional liability, nursing home defense, election law, and general tort litigation. He represents private businesses and corporations, public entities, banking institutions, architects, engineers, contractors, and subcontractors as well as individuals. He has tried many cases to judgment, including jury trials as well as bench trials. Mr. Kopman is experienced in resolving matters through alternative dispute methods, including mediation and arbitration.
Mr. Kopman’s government practice involves general representation of local governmental units. He has represented a county-wide forest preserve district, a Will County city, and a municipal fire & police commission and has worked for municipalities, townships, and a local park district.
Mr. Kopman has been named a “Leading Lawyer” for the years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 based on nomination and recognition by his peers. He is a member of the Will County Bar Association and Illinois State Bar Association.
Representative commercial cases include breach of warranty claims, shareholder disputes, breach of contract, trade secrets misappropriation, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty. Representative banking cases include foreclosures of commercial properties and security agreements as well as enforcement of personal guaranties and securing confessions of judgment. Representative zoning and real estate cases include statutory and constitutional challenges, judicial annexations, enforcement of real estate sales contracts, and enforcement of annexation agreements. Representative construction cases include mechanic’s lien matters, construction deficiencies, breach of contract, defense of personal injuries, and encroachment issues. In the area of election law, he has prosecuted numerous objections and challenges to candidate nominating petitions and referendum petitions, successfully petitioned for recount and election contests, and counseled candidates and committees on petitions. Representative government matters include prosecuting ordinance violations and counseling public entity / local government boards on various matters, including Illinois’ Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act, zoning and development issues, contract procurement, conflicts of interest, internal investigations, personnel matters, taxation, levy, budget, etc.
Civic and Cultural Involvement:
- Troy Township (Trustee; Past Collector)
- Will-Grundy Medical Clinic (Past President and Board Member)
- Will County Center for Economic Development (Past General Counsel and Executive Committee member)
- Joliet City Center Partnership (Board of Directors; Past Chair and Past Vice Chair)
- United Way of Will County (Past Member of Programs & Allocations Committee)
- Notre Dame Club of Joliet (Past Treasurer and Board Member)
- Cathedral of St. Raymond (Past President of Parish Council)
- Troy Baseball League (Coach)
- YMCA Youth Basketball League (Past Coach)
- Cathedral of St. Raymond OktoberFest Committee (Past Chair and Committee Member)
- Cathedral of St. Raymond School Athletics (Coach)
- Cathedral of St. Raymond School Intramurals (Coach)
- Troy Township Planning Commission (Past Chairman)
- Troy Township Republican Committee (Chairman; Elected Precinct Committeeman)
- Northwestern University – B.A. (1992)
- University of Notre Dame Law School – J.D. (1995)
Admitted to Practice: Illinois 1995