Jim Grumley is now retired, after a long and illustrious career. He stepped back his practice late in 2018 and eased into retirement. Though now fully retired, he remains an important component of KG&G and continues in an advisory capacity as a source of invaluable insight.
Born and raised in Joliet, Jim graduated from Joliet Catholic High School before moving on to the University of Notre Dame for his bachelor’s degree. He graduated law school from Loyola–Chicago and returned to his hometown to begin practicing law in Joliet.
Kavanagh Grumley & Gorbold and its predecessors were blessed to have Jim as an integral part of the firm for Jim’s entire 40+-year legal career. He began as a novice attorney for the firm in 1976 when the firm was located in the Rialto building. A couple of years later, Jim relocated with the firm to KG&G’s present location at 111 N. Ottawa. He quickly advanced to partnership status around 1983.
Jim concentrated his civil practice in medical malpractice defense and other insurance defense, along with general civil litigation. His physician clients thought the world of him and he remains well-known as one of Will County’s premier medical negligence defense attorneys. He was recognized year after year as a Leading Lawyer in the area of medical negligence defense. Jim handled cases in both federal and state courts throughout Illinois, as well as the appellate court. He advised and served on the boards of various not-for-profit and civic organizations.
We all wish him the very best in his much-deserved retirement!
- Illinois State Court
- U.S. District Courts for Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for Northern and Central District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Notre Dame
Past Memberships on Boards of Directors
- Joliet/Will County Center for Economic Development
- Joliet Area Historical Museum
- Joliet City Center Partnership
- Peter Claver Center
- Guardian Angel Home of Joliet
- American Cancer Society, Will County Unit
- Notre Dame Club of Joliet
- Notre Dame Club of Joliet Scholarship Foundation, Trustee